When Manish visited us in August 2014, he introduced me to baking – we baked cookies and a cake using store brought cake mix. He also helped me buy measuring spoons, cake pans and most importantly gifted me with an electrical hand mixer – an indispensable tool for baking. fully equipped and totally motivated, I raided the food blog world to find a fool proof, easy, basic recipe for a cake. Found so many, chose this one on Aayis recipes – am amazing collection of recipes. Jotting it down here, for my own reference later on.
The cake was so good, I could not believe I made it!
Original Recipe Link – Simple Egg Cake at Aayis Recipes.
1 cup butter ( that is two sticks)
1 and 1/4 cups sugar
1 and 1/2 cups All purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven at 350F for 10 min.
2. Sieve together flour and powder. Keep it aside. I don’t have a sieve. So I just measured out the flour and baking powder on a newspaper spread on the kitchen counter and mixed very well using a spoon.
3. Beat sugar in butter till it becomes light and fluffy – kinda pale yellow.
4. Add two egg at a time beating it all the time. Add essence and mix.
5. Add flour slowly – add some, mix. Again add some, mix. Till it all is incorporated.
6. Grease an oven safe dish with butter. Then sprinkle some flour on it and spread the flour. Now pour the cake mixture into this dish and bake the cake for around 40min at 350F (or till a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean). I used my 9 by 13 glass pan. It took me 35 mins.
My notes –
1. Manish told me to always measure flour, powder etc with a flat spoon/ cup – never heaped.
2. The cake had a dome. Not sure how to get rid of that. i did not have to ice the cake or something – so we were happy campers.
3. The fresh cake had an ‘egg taste’. We still ate a lot – first cake ever! But after it was refrigerated overnight, it tasted awesome.
4. Am sure this will taste great with ice cream or chocolate sauce – as basic as this is – the possibilities are endless!